Chargers Primed To Bolt With Raiders?

nick-hardwick-slide

Powder Blue meet Silver and Black.

The Chargers and Raiders are exploring plans to build a $1.7 billion stadium in Carson, according to the Los Angeles Times.

In conjuncture with a group called “Carson2gether” the NFL’s San Diego and Oakland franchises are announcing on Friday this blockbuster endeavor.

The teams, long-time bitter rivals, said in a statement:

“We are pursuing this stadium option in Carson for one straightforward reason: If we cannot find a permanent solution in our home markets, we have no alternative but to preserve other options to guarantee the future economic viability of our franchises.”

The Chargers, who started in L.A. in 1960, have grown frustrated in their 13-year plus bid to replace Qualcomm Stadium. San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer has directed a task force into finding a solution, but that plan isn’t expected until the fall.

Faulconer released a statement Thursday night:

“It’s now abundantly clear that while we have been working here in San Diego to create a plan for a new stadium, the Chargers have for some time been making their own plans for moving to Los Angeles. This would amount to abandoning generations of loyal Chargers fans. Despite this news, we are going to continue our efforts to develop a viable stadium solution.”

The Raiders, who left L.A. after the 1994 season, have expressed a desire for more than six years to upgrade their facility.

The teams bought the 168-acre site, the L.A. Times reported, at the intersection of 405 freeway and Del Amo Boulevard. It’s not far from where the Chargers once held training camp, near the Cal State University Dominguez Hills campus.

The NFL, which has said it controls the L.A. market, has stated that no team will play there in 2015. But no such restrictions are in place for 2016, although NFL owners have to approve a team relocating by a two-thirds margin.

The acceleration of news in L.A. comes after Rams owner Stan Kroenke announced in December he was building a venue in Inglewood at the former Hollywood Park site.

The Chargers, who claim 25 percent of their revenues are from the L.A., Orange County and Inland Empire markets, could play in the Rose Bowl or Coliseum while the new facility was being built. The same holds true for the Raiders; they once called the Coliseum home.

Other stadium proposals, in addition to Carson and Inglewood, are at L.A. Live in downtown and in Industry.

Faulconer was previously scheduled to meet with Chargers president Dean Spanos next week to discuss staying San Diego.

+ Contact Jay Paris at jparis@bcaradio.com

Comments

comments

Recently in San Diego Padres

World Team's Manuel Margot, of the San Diego Padres, takes a home run away from U.S. Team's Carson Kelly, of the St. Louis Cardinals, during the sixth inning of the All-Star Futures baseball game, Sunday, July 10, 2016, in San Diego. (AP Photo/Lenny Ignelzi)

Some of Padres top prospects finally arrive

Top Padres’ prospects Manuel Margot (No.2), Hunter Renfroe (No.3), Carlos Asuaje (No.20), and Austin Hedges on being called-up from Triple-A El Paso and making the most of their opportunity.Comments comments

Petco park cropped

Petco Park to host second round of 2017 WBC

Petco Park and San Diego will once again serve as a host for the World Baseball Classic. San Diego’s beautiful downtown ballpark, recently rated number one in the country by USA Today, will host second-round games from