Eric Grubman on why San Diego won’t present to NFL at October meetings

Eric Grubman by Marty Caswell

by Marty Caswell

Last month, the NFL invited San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer, city attorney Jan Goldsmith and county supervisor Ron Roberts to New York for their October meetings, at which time the cities of San Diego and St. Louis would make their full presentations to all NFL owners on progress for a new stadium.

The invitation has been retracted.

NFL executive vice president Eric Grubman explained the reasoning through email.

“After talking to a number of owners, I felt that Committee members would want to engage with and talk to the presenters in some detail, and that the full group of owners might benefit from a back and forth discussion about the potential projects.  That kind of dialogue usually doesn’t happen at league meetings when there are outside presenters, and particularly when we have a full agenda.  We discussed it with the LA Committee and it was decided that we would figure out a better arrangement for any next presentations. ”

“Several of the cities are continuing to work on projects, and the schedules for them to make their plans and get things done, and for us to analyze the various options remains fluid and still flexible.”

I asked Grubman if the city of San Diego would have a chance to present at a later date.

“I certainly think that we are going to have further discussions, and there could very well be an opportunity in the coming weeks and months.  We have to discuss it with them.”

Grubman also told Bernie Wilson of the Associated Press that the NFL was still figuring out the details for town hall meetings in San Diego, St . Louis and Oakland for fans to vent their thoughts and frustrations.

Could this actually be a positive turn for future talks between the city of San Diego and the NFL?

Faulconer’s spokesman Matt Awbrey says dialogue between the City and County’s negotiators and NFL officials will continue.

“To better allow for an in-depth presentation, the NFL is looking at having hometown cities present to a smaller setting of team owners. We look forward to making a more detailed presentation to NFL owners at an upcoming time to update them on San Diego’s progress and commitment to keeping the Chargers in San Diego.”

Comments

comments

One thought on “Eric Grubman on why San Diego won’t present to NFL at October meetings

  1. Pingback: 9/16 Morning Mighty: SDSU Basketball Under Investigation | Mighty1090AM

Recently in San Diego Chargers

San Diego Chargers head coach Mike McCoy watches during the first half of an NFL football game against the Indianapolis Colts, Sunday, Sept. 25, 2016, in Indianapolis. (AP Photo/Jeff Roberson)

Dan & Joe: Chargers lack talent

Dan Sileo and Joe Tutino break down the Chargers ugly loss to the Indianapolis Colts, and what they need to do better if they’re to have a chance against New Orleans next weekend.Comments comments

Marty by Marty Caswell

Recap from Indy- The Chargers beat the Chargers

What went wrong in the Chargers 26-22 loss to the Indianapolis Colts? Well just about everything. A quick breakdown of the Chargers self-inflicted wounds and yet another key player injury.Comments comments

Tags: , , ,