Malcom Floyd still planning to retire

Malcom Floyd

Tight end Antonio Gates said Monday that he hopes longtime friend and teammate Malcom Floyd will reconsider his plan to retire after the 2015 season, now that there is uncertainty over whether Floyd will play again this year because of a shoulder injury suffered during the Bears game.

Looks like the veteran wide receiver is sticking to his guns.

Floyd announced his upcoming retirement this past offseason, saying that he would play one last year before hanging it up to spend more time with his family.

A class act off the field and a dynamic deep threat on the field, Floyd is one of the few core players left in the Chargers locker room, alongside Gates, quarterback Philip Rivers, safety Eric Weddle and punter Mike Scifres. Although he’s battled injuries throughout his 12-year career with the Chargers, he is one of Rivers’ favorite targets and someone who is deeply respected by teammates and coaches.

Head coach Mike McCoy is hopeful Floyd will suit up again this season, despite a torn labrum in his left shoulder (according to the Union-Tribune).

“He’s working extremely hard,” McCoy said Monday. “He told me the other day that he’d love to go out there and play this past Sunday. We had a bye, which was fortunate for him to recover. We’ll see how long it takes him.”

Comments

comments

One thought on “Malcom Floyd still planning to retire

  1. Pingback: 11/18 TMM: NFL Wants $500M for Teams to Relocate to L.A. | Mighty1090AM

Recently in Trending

Marty by Marty Caswell

Recap from Indy- The Chargers beat the Chargers

What went wrong in the Chargers 26-22 loss to the Indianapolis Colts? Well just about everything. A quick breakdown of the Chargers self-inflicted wounds and yet another key player injury.Comments comments