Chargers to Focus Efforts Downtown – Chargers.com
In a somewhat unsurprising move, the San Diego Chargers announced yesterday that they would be focusing their efforts on getting an NFL stadium built in downtown San Diego in conjunction with a convention center expansion.
Then, all hell broke loose….
- JMI’s Steve Peace came on Scott & BR and said that the Chargers will pay for the stadium themselves and ask for no public money for it.
- County Supervisor Ron Roberts followed him, telling Scott & BR that he didn’t like the Chargers plan and didn’t see how the county could or would be involved any longer.
- The newest face in all of this, Fred Maas explained to the guys that the Chargers’ lawyers believe the downtown stadium and convention center expansion could be passed with a majority vote instead of the 2/3rds majority vote.
The New Battle Between the Mayor and Chargers Opens – Voice of San Diego
Of course, even with the Chargers staying in San Diego and choosing to pursue a plan to build a long-term stadium solution, the team and the Mayor are back at opposite sides of the table and working against one another.
Ten Questions Regarding the JMI Joint Use Facility – Bolts from the Blue
Now that the Chargers have “ended the suspense” and chosen the downtown site they’ve been eyeing for years, there are some important questions to discuss. Most notably, how will the Chargers be paying for it and how long will it take to build?
Meanwhile, Darren Smith and Marty Caswell are out at Padres Spring Training in Peoria, AZ this week and found two of the more interesting characters on the team to talk to yesterday:
- Jon Jay, the former St. Louis Cardinals that the Padres got back in the Jedd Gyorko trade this offseason, talked with Darren about trying to find his footing on a new team.
- Austin Hedges, who may or may not be the future starting catcher of the Padres, explained why he thought it was more valuable for him to stay in MLB instead of being sent back down to the minor leagues.
Inverted Pyramids, Crossovers And PPI: A Primer For The AHL Calder Cup Playoffs – Mighty 1090
As the voice of the San Diego Gulls, Craig Elsten is very familiar with the team’s current chase to make it into the AHL Calder Cup Playoffs. He explained what the Calder Cup Playoffs are, along with how the Gulls can make it in, in this very informative article.
Stronger frame has Rea in better shape to earn spot – MLB.com
San Diego Padres pitcher Colin Rea reported to camp at 230 pounds, and he looks different physically. He said that he typically loses 10 pounds during the season, meaning he wants to carry 220 pounds the entire season this time around. That should help keep his legs and body strong throughout the long grind of the season.
Former NFL player reveals just how weird NFL combine questions can get – For The Win
Former NFL defensive lineman Austen Lane hilariously revealed on Twitter the type of questions teams ask prospects when they’re meeting with them at the Combine.
Sign up to get the Morning Mighty delivered straight to your inbox every morning!