REPORT: Padres trade Cashner, Rea to Marlins for prospects

San Diego Padres pitcher Andrew Cashner

The San Diego Padres have been shopping around Andrew Cashner over the last few weeks and the Miami Marlins are one team that has shown interest. As of last night, the rumors were that the Marlins did not have enough to send back to land the 29-year old right-handed pitcher.

Today, if the reports are true, the Padres have thrown another right-handed starter into the deal. While Cashner may be a free agent after this season, Colin Rea is under team control for five more years after this season concludes. Now, it appears Miami has landed the pitcher they hope will help them get to the playoffs and a starter than can stick in their lineup in the future.

In return, the Marlins will reportedly send back 1B prospect Josh Naylor, who recently participated in the MLB Futures Game at Petco Park. Naylor is just 19-years old and is expected to become a great hitter with big power while also playing good defense at first base. That won’t be for years, though, as he still needs to figure out how to hit left-handed pitching.

Like the trades that the Padres have made for Craig Kimbrel, Fernando Rodney, and Drew Pomeranz, it’s obvious that General Manager A.J. Preller is trying to stock up on as much young talent as he can in hopes that the major-league roster is filled with stars several years from now.

UPDATES:

We’re still waiting to hear what the finalized deal looks like and now it sounds like Jarred Cosart, a talented starting pitcher that has struggled to stay healthy with the Marlins, will be headed to San Diego in the deal.

Add Luis Castillo to the list of prospects the Padres will be getting back in this deal. The hard-throwing reliever has a 2.23 ERA at the high-A level of the Marlins’ minor-league system.

Comments

comments

3 thoughts on “REPORT: Padres trade Cashner, Rea to Marlins for prospects

  1. don quixote

    preller is a bipolar gm. last year he sold the farm. this year he builds up the farm. what is he going to do next year? bottom line padres are still a losing organization. furthermore, he is building for the future, who says he will be around?

  2. Gabriel L. Acevedo

    Mike Dee, Peter Seidler and Ron Fowler, ALL SAID, he will STILL be here….if you wanna blame a jacked up farm system, blame the damn owner who blew off, well over a decade’s worth of drafts, John Moores…and blame an owner in Geoff Moorad, who is probably a convicted criminal, were it not for the fact that he was extremely wealthy before he even attempted to buy the Padres on layaway..and didnt even have the decency to offer Adrian Gonzalez an offer of any sort, before he was traded.

    dont blame a GM in Preller how has done more damage control, because of all the eff ups that the his predecessors made, minus Jed Hoyer.

Recently in San Diego Padres

World Team's Manuel Margot, of the San Diego Padres, takes a home run away from U.S. Team's Carson Kelly, of the St. Louis Cardinals, during the sixth inning of the All-Star Futures baseball game, Sunday, July 10, 2016, in San Diego. (AP Photo/Lenny Ignelzi)

Some of Padres top prospects finally arrive

Top Padres’ prospects Manuel Margot (No.2), Hunter Renfroe (No.3), Carlos Asuaje (No.20), and Austin Hedges on being called-up from Triple-A El Paso and making the most of their opportunity.Comments comments

Petco park cropped

Petco Park to host second round of 2017 WBC

Petco Park and San Diego will once again serve as a host for the World Baseball Classic. San Diego’s beautiful downtown ballpark, recently rated number one in the country by USA Today, will host second-round games from

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,