Mike Dee, the former President and CEO of the San Diego Padres, has been let go by the team following a four year tenure that saw the team go 295-353 and finish 4th or worst in the NL West in each of the last two seasons.
Dee’s tenure as the team’s President could best be described as tumultuous, but he lead the charge in 2016 to reshape the team by trading away current major-league players for high-ceiling prospects that could help the team get back into contention in two years or more.
The move was announced by Dennis Lin or the San Diego Union-Tribune, who was provided a press release from the team:
“Mike’s departure creates a position we will need to fill, and the search will begin immediately,” Padres executive chairman Ron Fowler said in the statement to the Union-Tribune. “In the meantime, we will work closely with our talented and trusted senior executives to lead the organization forward.
“We will continue to work hard to build a winning ballclub and to provide our fans an exceptional experience at Petco Park. I remain optimistic about the future as we develop a core group of home-grown players who play an energetic, aggressive style of baseball.”
Dee’s departure is not related to the 30-game suspension that Major League Baseball levied on Padres General Manager A.J. Preller last month, sources said. Preller was penalized after a league investigation determined the Padres had withheld medical information from trade partners. Preller, who will return to the team Oct. 19, is not in jeopardy of losing his job, according to sources.
Source: San Diego Union-Tribune